here’s an interview with Sergei “SerB” Burkatovsky on Russian “Zvezda” TV.
Notice his title: “President of the Wargaming company”. Here’s what he said.
- the popularity of World of Tanks is a complex issue. One of the elements is that the game is online and people are interested in playing with other people, not with NPC’s. Second is the free to play model, the game is free, you don’t have to pay. Third element are tanks: “In Russia, tanks are iconic” because of WW2, T-34 is a “symbol of victory”.
- another element of the popularity is that the game is simple and correctly put together
- European market and Chinese market (game market) are fully comparable to the one of the former USSR, US server has fewer players because for the Americans, WW2 was fought using ships, not mainly tanks
- SerB considers WoT one of his main successes, he is still both developing and playing, he is returning to his childhood dreams, he sees the mankind’s future in space and states that “if it’s possible to make even a small step in that direction, we have to do it”
- the reasons above are why he is investing into space industry, he states that the rockets he is investing it are made for small minisatellites, for example for student research. He then explains the plans with the rockets (3 launches per year, he believes it will be profitable, he invested 5 mil rubles, he has the option for another 5 mil)