as you already probably know, today is the day when the Chaffee race event starts. It will apparently be active until 13.10.2014 if I remember correctly. It’s…. just try it. A few random points I picked up quickly:
- exploding barrels do NO damage whatsoever. Given the nature of how they work in other racing games (an obstacle), I am not sure this is intended or anything, but it’s pointless to shoot them, their explosions won’t harm anyone. Likewise, you can just plough through them.
- the special Chaffee has new engine sound, that sounds really cool. Does the regular Chaffee now have the same engine sound as well? Haven’t noticed.
- the Chaffee slides. A LOT. Almost feels like you are playing War Thunder. The problem with it is that the sliding (unlike in any other racing games, where you have the tyre “screeching”) does not have a distinctive sound effect and so it is relatively difficult to keep the vehicle on the edge of a controlled slide.
- shooting the HUGE red fuel towers or whatever they are does nothing
- if you want to get into the enemy lane, it’s possible during jumps, but you have to time it right
- autoaim works ONLY if you are in the same lane (or in the base), otherwise there is the middle wall preventing you from locking on, this makes the shooting quite harder. It’s possible to lock on when you are higher than the enemy, but then the autoaim will just shoot the wall.
- viable tactic is to stay a little behind the group of opponents (who instinctively run as fast as they can since this is a race) and shoot them in the back, but the road is windy and dont expect to knock out anyone
- detracks are practically impossible, the vehicle tracks repair extremely fast (if you hit them at all)
- altough the aim circle seems really small, make no mistake, the gun is inaccurate and fires all over the place, especially when going fast
- another valid tactic when you are on first spot is have one team member (well, you) go to the opposite lane by the end and ram the opponents. The rammed guy will be stopped in his tracks and the other two almost always stop to get rid of you, your teammates will cap
- cap is extremely fast, takes just like 10 seconds – and there are TWO bases on one another, which means it’s completely possible for both teams to achieve a draw by capping at the same time, that’s why it’s important not to only stand around and cap, but also to shoot the other team capping
Overall, it’s… fun, but I am a bit disappointed by the track and the motion model. The fact the tank slides a lot would be manageable, but any obstacles on the road are practically pointless, they don’t even make you lose speed, explosions do nothing – you just go forward and that’s it. The vehicle accelerates extremely fast as well, any time lost is quickly caught up, unless you just stand around, enjoying the scenery. Unless you do specifically what I wrote above (staying a bit behind), shooting over the center line is mostly pointless, it’s much better to just ignore them and focus on driving than crashing into something while trying to aim.
The soccer mode was better.